Thursday, June 28, 2007

PARENTING: I Love You Rituals

As a mother, one way that I would like to turn a new leaf is to actively seek out and begin to lay down the ground work for memorable family traditions. This topic came up recently in a parenting group that I was part of. Not everyone grew up with a whole lot of traditions, but those that did seem to think very fondly of them. I think traditions give children structure and security and connection to their family. I am thrilled to now have the opportunity to lay this groundwork with my boys. I know that my husband is also eager to give this gift to our children.

Let's get started. One way to start thinking about traditions on a small day to day scale is to implement "I Love You Rituals". I found this great book for only $1.00 at a local discount store that used to get boxes full of books, I am assuming from close-outs. Anyway, I just found the book on Amazon and they also have a feature where you can access citations and other contents through their website. Interesting.

I like this book because it begins with a chapter or two full of background information on why rituals are good for kids and how they tie in with discipline and also boosting brain potential. Who knew!? I will let you take a look at the book yourself, if you are interested. I don't plan on being on the computer all day today, so I think that I will just give you one ritual to try. I will look for something that is appropriate for a two year old and will try it with my own son.


Here's the Beehive (Interactive Finger Plays)


Here's the beehive, where are all the bees?


Hidden away where nobody sees.


Watch and you will see them come out of the hive.


One, two, three, four, five


Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


I'll catch them and keep them alive.


Preparation and instructions: Start this game with the child making a fist with the thumb tucked inside his or her hand, so no "bees" are showing.

"Here's the beehive, where are all the bees?"

Hold the child's fist and look all around the hand with an inquisitive expression.

"Hidden away where nobody sees."

Say this line with a sighing voice as your shrug your shoulders, looking at the child's closed hand.

"Watch and you will see them come out of the hive."

Showing anticipation and delight, prepare your other hand to "remove the bees."

"One, two, three, four, five."

Pick out one "bee" at a time as you count the child's fingers being opened. As each finger is extended, make the "Bzzzzzzzzzz" sound.

"Bzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Once all the "bees" are out, continue making a bee sound and move the child's hand in a fluttering motion.

"I'll catch them and keep them alive."

Pretend to catch the bees by gently tucking the child's fingers inside your hands. When the "bees" are caught, stop the buzzing noise. Check the "bees" several times to make sure they are still alive by opening your hands and looking at them. Each time you check, show the child that the bees are alive by making the "Bzzzzz" sound.

1 comment:

Heaven said...

Hey Kel, that looks like a great book! Thanks for sharing.