Thursday, June 21, 2007

DINNER FOR KIDS: Tacos & Cupcakes


If I haven't mentioned it already, the kitchen is not my domain. Having said that, I do enjoy cooking and do have high hopes of having more time and ambition to experiment with tantalizing recipes some day. In the meantime, cooking in our house is usually pretty much a means to an ends. We need to eat, so we need to cook. This normal routine did take a turn recently when I had mentioned to my neighbours that they could help me cook dinner sometime. When they mentioned it the next two weeks in a row, I knew I had struck a cord. These girls come over once a week for supper with our family and I guess they thought it would be fun to assist with the preparation.
I decided last minute on soft tacos. Nothing from scratch, just the shells, hamburger and taco mix from Zehrs. The girls helped with the tacos, though I actually had them more engaged in making muffins.
What you need:
- Package of taco spice ($0.99) Zehrs, or Taco Kit
- Tortilla shells (soft) or hard taco shells
- Hamburger, ground turkey or ground chicken
- Cheese (shredded)
- Lettuce (shredded)
- Tomato (chopped)
Note: make this meal healthier with whole wheat tortilla shells

The cupcakes were really fun. Baking is even less my forte than cooking, but I find it pretty easy to use a cake mix to make yummy cupcakes. The girls were eager to help crack the eggs, mix the batter, fill the cups, ice the cupcakes and of course, top them with sprinkles. This also gave them something to take home and share with their Dad or take to school.

You need:
- cake mix (or a "from scratch" recipe)
- icing
- sprinkles and/or smarties, jubes or other toppings

Making the tacos

Some of our ingredients

A happy pair!

MY RATING:

TACOS:
The tacos were a 4/10 in my opinion. I did not have all the ingredients ready to have the girls help with chopping and shredding. Also, I warmed the shells, but they got a little hard around the edges and were difficult to wrap. The girls had not had tacos before, I don't know if they were overly thrilled with them, but I think they had fun in the process.

CUPCAKES: The cupcakes were a 9/10. Making cupcakes with kids is always a hit.
Please feel free to add your own recipes or suggestions or links for great meals and desserts to make with kids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tacos- what I do is add sour cream and salsa to the ingredients, and put them out on the table. Kevin and Kyle have traditional tacos - I put together a taco salad (by breaking shells into the other toppings, and Libby has something inbetween

Other good cooking with kids meals that we use are nachos (nacho chips, tomato, peppers, onion (green onions are mild...), cheese, and use salsa and sour cream to dip in). Also we do make-your-own-pizzas with soft tortilla shells, english muffins, or a pre-baked pizza shell... I have more - but I will save it for later...

Kelkat said...

Sarah, you just reminded me of my favorite breakfast tortilla. I will post it or wait until I learn how to have comments actually show up right on my blog. Thanks for your comments, keep them coming!Maybe you are ready for a blog!?

Anonymous said...

I kind of do, although I don't keep up with it with Facebook taking up all my net time! :o) http://1stnatsmom.livejournal.com/

Anonymous said...

That, and it (my blog) REALLY lacks purpose :o)