Monday, June 25, 2007

PARENT REVIEWS: Diaper Bags

Who knew that this could be such a life-alterting topic, post-baby!? Wow. The diaper bag is this whole entity in itself, isn't it? Personally, I have gone through several diaper bags, many of which were not actually on the market as such. I started with a baby blue bag from Zellers.
Pretty Baby Diaper Bag - Zellers

I think it is called "Pretty Baby". I don't know who makes it. I bought it because I figured I was having a boy (I was right), but thought that I could still use it if I didn't because of the light colour. This bag worked well for travels in the car and with the stroller. I found that in the beginning I needed a bigger bag because I had no idea what to bring or what I didn't need to bring. I am an over-packer to begin with, so once I had an infant to take along as well, it was trouble! I think the packing peaked when I had to also start bringing snacks for baby.

Some time after that I saw that a friend was using a purse-style bag from Old Navy. I purchased that and found it really handy for trips to the mall. This was the post-baby phase where I wanted to get some of my "womanly identify" back anyway. Did this happen to you? That point where you want to where some of your old clothes or put on perfume, even though you hadn't been doing these things for various reasons? Okay, I'll stop right there. If you are wondering what the heck I am talking about, new moms are actually told to cut out the smelly soaps, body lotions, shower gels and perfumes because a new baby has a sensitive nose and might be turned off from nursing. I was a very "by the book" kind of first-time-mom, so I obliged. Anyway, back to my review -- The purse was good and could fit some diapers, my wallet, a small blanket and some snacks. I think a sippy cup would even fit - or I would just pile all the overflow into the stroller basket!

Over time, I have also had the little, black back-pack style bag. I didn't really like it for my purposes. I think I have actually had two of them circulate through here, and both of them I passed along via yard sale or FreeCycle.

Since then I have been pretty creative with what I have used. I have found that my needs have changed over time and also it depends on what we are doing and where we are going. A friend recently gave me a big black purse that I love because I can fit all of my usual purse-type items, PLUS diapers (2 sizes now), wipes, toys and whatever else. I also have a red travel bag that I use. This probably looks really dumb - but it hold a lot and either my husband or I can carry it. We usually use it for longer outtings and when going to church.

The diaper bag I would probably get if I felt like spending lots of money or I had it to do over and could register for it is one that is sold at Toys R Us. A mom I met at a friends house had it and I asked her about it and then looked it up. It is called a Black Messenger Bag by Diaper Dude. Anyway, it is black and stylish and sits on your hip. I think it would be great. If you have one, please leave a review here.

Diaper Dude Diaper Bag

My friend, Cathy, submitted the following tip regarding a bag holder that she uses with her diaper bag:

"I bought a eddie bauer bag holder that is small and it clips on to the diaper bag so I always have bags on hand. They come with refills etc. I also bought sunscreen that stays in the diaper bag so I know that I will have some."

I hope that my friend, Sarah, will write about the new super-delux diaper bag that she made!!! I will post a link to her blog if she wants to tell you about it there!

No comments: