Sunday, December 16, 2007

Just Add Veggies

As parents of young children, I think most of us at some point (and for some, quite frequently) wonder if our children are getting enough vitamins in their diets because they don't seem to want to eat veggies. At this stage in the game, we are still pretty lucky and our toddler is willing to eat a good selection of veggies. Having said that, I would still like to share the idea of adding veggies to various lunch and supper options to "boost" the vitamin intake that your children are getting.

Yesterday I gave our son some Dora alphagetti for the first time. It was probably only the second time he has had a lunch noodle in tomato paste from a can - but I bought it because sometimes it feels like we are running out of options (or I'm just not feeling creative enough on the spot!). Anyway, I also bought a couple bags of my FAVORITE mixed frozen veggies and added some to the mix when I was cooking. I just think that this is a simple but great way to add nutrition (and colour and flavour - even I ate some!) to the meal. Served with brown bread and voila...

Might not look like much (I'll admit) and is a FAR CRY from gourmet -- but it did the trick and at least I knew that our son was getting broccoli, peas, peppers and even spinach into his system as he ate up Dora, Swipper, Boots and the Stars! Us parents, pulling out all the stops and tricks. Well, you know what they say, "whatever works", and this meal got gobbled right up!

Note: Europe's Best veggies are on sale at Zehrs this week $2.50 a bag. Frozen veggies are selected, picked and packaged at their prime so they are always tasty. I think they retain all or most of their nutritional value as well.

No comments: