Sunday, September 30, 2007

These Dangerous Times: Lead in Toys

I guess that I have been pretty slow to respond when it comes to all of the recent announcements regarding toy recalls and lead paint. What seemed to get the most attention initially was the Thomas & Friends Wooden Railway toys, and we did not have our train set yet, so it wasn't really an issue for us. Now that the recall list has drastically expanded, I just don't know exactly what to think! I can search through the lists and pictures of affected products, but what about all the toys we have from smaller companies or toys that are older and may not be on current lists?

If you have any suggestions on what you have done to address the recent recall situation
and toys in your own home, please let me know.
I would appreciate hearing from you.

Some links of interest:

Recent RC2 Thomas & Friends Recall:
http://recalls.rc2.com/recalls_Wood_0607.html

Fisher Price Recall Items:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07257.html

Original RC2 Thomas & Friends Lead Paint Recall:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07212.html

2 comments:

Heaven said...

This is something I'm struggling with; even though we don't have any Thomas stuff I look around and am overwhelmed with all the toys not knowing what is safe and what is not. So I've done nothing.

You can buy lead testing kits, they're little sticks that you use to test any painted surface. I bought some at Walmart a few years ago to test some pottery.

Anonymous said...

Hello darling,

thank you so much for stopping by! I'm happy you liked my little home and you're always welcome to come back.

Now, regarding your post: I'm really shocked with this list. Even more shocked that fisher price is included. Always trusted fisher price. I'm dissapointed. They should know better. After all they are making things for small children. It makes me angry really!

Anyway, I must say you have some lovely bubbas there! Bless them!

Take care!

Love,
A.