Tuesday, July 3, 2007

TOONIE TUESDAYS: Teddy's Choice Diapers

Well, I was all set to post a great review on Teddy's Choice diapers as my topic for Toonie Tuesdays -- I guess I still will, but I did read some reviews that said that the product has possibly changed for the worse lately. Take it or leave it, here is my experience with this brand:

We have used Teddy's Choice diapers with Ja1 from sizes 3-5. We have found them to be really good and much more economical than Huggies or Pampers. I am not saying that we have not spent a great deal on those brands also, but for the most part we have settled on Teddy's Choice. We buy them at Zehrs or No Frills. The usual price for a box is $29.99. Right now, they are on for $25.99. I think the #4 diapers are 136 in a box. This means the sale price is $0.18 per diaper. Go ahead and figure out what you are spending on other brands. If you are someone who swears by Pampers or Huggies, you can go on their websites and join their mail or email list to receive coupons on a regular basis.

Does anyone know what the average family spends on diapers for one child? I found a site that estimates that Total estimated average cost $2694.54 for 7,349 disposable, single use diapers. I think this is probably conservative. I feel like we have spent a small fortune on diapers, for SURE! If I had it to do over, especially having more than one child, I would definitely look into cloth diapers. This would be even easier to consider with our youngest child, who doesn't even poop every day!

This is what the same site says about cloth:

Single use diapers range in price from $0.22 to $0.45 each. Cloth diapers pay for themselves within a six month period. After six months you diaper for almost free. A quick estimation of cost; Consumer Report estimates that the most inefficient washer and dryer system costs approximately $0.78 per load to launder whereas more efficient models will cost approximately $0.44 per load to launder. So wash your own, twice a week for between 44-78 cents including water, hydro and detergent or spend $16.94 to $22.05 for single use disposable diapers. Please keep in mind your child is in the large size single use disposable diaper for the longest stage of diapering and yes, they are the most expensive @ approximately $0.45 each.

I guess my Toonie Tuesday tip of using Teddy's Choice diapers is going off track - but perhaps you have a suggestions for a cheaper brand of diapers and/or baby wipes? We would love to hear from you. We will probably stick with these because they are easy for us to get and seem to be the cheapest option. As mentioned, they have also worked out okay for our family. I think it was on the Canadian Parent website that I read some negative reviews about them. Just a further note, if you buy this product and are not satisfied, you can return the remainder of the package or box for an exchange or possibly even a refund with your receipt. They have a satisfaction guarantee. I like products that have this. This is the benefit to buying the store brand of anything at Zehrs, Food Basics, Independent or whatever. Buy it and if you aren't completely satisfied, take it back!!!

Another good tip from a website I found called:


Frugality
You may define "frugal" as being "cheap." The dictionary defines "frugal" as "reflecting economy in the expenditure of resources."
Our notion of frugality has been shaped very much by Ebenezer Scrooge of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." Scrooge only allowed his assistant one piece of coal to warm himself while working. Scrooge was cheap. He wasn't frugal.
Frugality doesn't mean being cheap. It means becoming a more conscious shopper and consumer and looking for ways to save money. For example, you can be frugal by buying generic brands (where the quality is no different) or by shopping at sales whenever possible.

1 comment:

lora k said...

I used to make my own diaper wipes, which I found to be more economical and better for my baby's sensitive skin. It's been years and I don't remember the recipe exactly, but this is close. 2 cups water, 2 T baby shampoo, and 1 T baby oil. Mix that together and pour it over a roll of paper towels that have been cut in half and put into a container. I used these on 3 babies and they worked really well. The little bit of baby oil helps them to clean up "messy" problems very well.

HTH,
Lora
www.keethfamily.com/lora