Wednesday, July 4, 2007

MOTHERHOOD: Elizabeth Edwards on Oprah

It is through tears that I type this blog entry. I happened to turn on the TV a few minutes ago and tuned in to Oprah. Her guest is Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former senator John Edwards...but that doesn't really matter to me, what I connect with her on is her love for her son. They lost their son in an accident in 1986. What caught me right away was the exerts from their son's journal. He said "someday I want to be as good of a parent to my kids as my parents have been to me". What an honour. He was 16.
The show is still on, which is why I am writing in both past and present tense. Elizabeth wrote a book called Saving Graces. Oprah commented that it was a great read that she highly recommends to anyone going through the loss of a loved one.
Another thing that struck me from the interview so far was that Elizabeth said she always read the same books as her son when he was in school (books that were assigned reading). What a great thing to do. What a caring, involved, connected mom! She said that her relationship with her son was so complex and so complete that when the family wrote him letters after his death, all she wrote on her paper was "you know'. After his death, she went to his grave daily. She got the senior reading list from his school and would go to his grave and read from the list. This gave her a way to stay connected, because it is something she would have done with him, had he have been alive.

I am touched. My youngest son is on my lap as I write this...

He is getting teeth, so I should go now to comfort him.
Be grateful and embrace motherhood today - I know I will.

No comments: